Going to a job interview need not be a nerve-working experience for job-seekers. The secret lies in knowing how to prepare for the interview, and how to conduct oneself during the interview process. Here are some useful interview tips for jobs that will bring you a step closer to getting the job you so desire or need:
Interview Tips for Jobs: Preparing for the Interview
1. Find out about the company you are applying with. Search the net, read newspaper and magazine articles, or talk to people who are knowledgeable about the company. Knowing the company’s latest products and the most recent developments in the industry will give you an edge over other applicants who don’t.
2. Try to anticipate what possible questions might be asked of you and practice your answers to these questions. Following is a list of some questions that will most likely be asked of you:
a. Tell us about yourself.
b. Why do you want this job?
c. What things do you know about this company?
d. Why did you resign from your last job? / Why do you intend to leave your present job?
e. What kind of work did you do in your last job?
f. Talk about your strengths and weaknesses. How do you intend to overcome these weaknesses?
g. What kind of experience do you have in ___? (Mention the skills required by the job.)
h. Tell us about a time when you were faced with a difficult situation and tell us how you handled this.
i. How do you envision your career 10 years from now? Does this particular job fit in with your plans?
j. Tell us about your greatest professional achievement.
k. Tell us your desired salary.
l. Do you have any questions about the job or the company?
3. Prepare extra copies of your resume, school transcript, and other documents that might be required by the interviewer.
Interview Tips for Jobs: How to Make a Good Impression during the Interview
1. Dress appropriately for the job interview.
This is one of the most logical interview tips for jobs that you’ll find. Wear something that speaks well of your personality and capabilities – something appropriate for the job that you are applying for. Wear something current but not too stylish; something that will leave a good impression on the interviewer but not distract him from your abilities. Wear subtle perfume and jewelry. Pay attention to details like groomed nails, polished shoes, and neat hair-do.
2. Shake hands firmly and confidently.
3. Be professional, calm, and poised throughout the interview. Maintain eye contact with the interviewer and refrain from fidgeting.
4. Stay focused. Make sure you know exactly what the interviewer is asking before you answer. If unsure, ask for clarification.
5. Be positive about the things you say. Refrain from blaming others for past failures. Simply expound on the circumstances that lead to this.
6. Be concise and straightforward with your answers. This is one of the most useful interview tips for jobs out there. No one wants to sit there while listening to you talk for 30 minutes for a single question.
7. Be honest about your accomplishments and past mistakes. Don’t exaggerate or downplay these unnecessarily.
8. Ask the interviewer about the requirements of the job, training programs, and performance evaluation procedures. You will want to know exactly what you’re getting yourself into before you actually commit yourself to the job.
When you are already scheduled for an interview, review these interview tips for jobs. Although following these interview tips for jobs does not guarantee that you will get the job, it will surely improve your chances of doing so.
Author bio: The above article contributed by Priya N, she is a career counselor in top consultant company and also she has appeared as Guest blogger on various site, her expertise in career, job search, interview tips etc. You can read more articles on her blog Getsarkarinaukri.co.in.